Friday, May 01, 2009

I deserve a raise...

I had to take the 11 month old puppy in to the vet today. Pete had noticed that one of her mammary glands was swollen. Yes, I am a cat person. I'm a practical cat person. So, with that, let me tell the story.

I couldn't find the leash but I knew the vet had one I could borrow when I got there. Clayton, Lilly and I got in the car. Lilly began eating all the crumbs and probably left over chocolate in the back seat of the car. I should let her loose more often back there. Anyhoo. We started down the road. When I arrived at the vet, I ran in to get the leash. It was a plastic rope thing. Of course, I didn't know how to attach it. I finally made a loop through Lilly's collar but it wasn't right. There was nothing for me to grab. I got her out of the car and she almost pulled me down. My hand felt like it was getting a rope burn. I finally just grabbed her by the collar and walked her over to the building. I opened the door to the vet and Lilly lunged forward pulling me down to my knees in front of 4 people. I think I said something not so nice as I looked around. Oh well.

We got back to the vet and I had never seen this guy before. He was funny, which I appreciated and he liked the breed. He asked if she was still intact or spayed. I said, "intact." He asked if we were going to breed her. I told him we were "because there aren't enough dogs in the world, right?" For whatever reason, Pete wants Lilly to live on. Remember, I'm the practical cat person speaking.

It turned out she has moderate mastitis. She even was lactating a bit. I asked the doctor if she was pregnant. He asked how long ago was she in heat. I answered, "two months." "Do you have puppies under a couch at home?" Ha, ha. The gestation period for dogs is about 60 days.

Thank the Lord, we do not have puppies at our house. At least, not yet.

3 comments:

Changedit said...

made me laugh too ... good to see u've still got humour :D oh yes, and i am the practical dog & cat person. what breed is lilly? xx

Kelly said...

Lilly is a German shorthaired pointer. She has so much energy and is high strung. Sigh.

Auburn Kat said...

Oh gosh! A house full of puppies...that would be interesting=) Yes, I'm a practical cat person too!!