Thursday, November 03, 2011

I just finished "The Help." Awesome book. While our family didn't have a maid while I was growing up, my mom and dad had one early on in their marriage (before I came along). My mother worked and the maid would come to the house and take care of my sister. My mom would come home to a clean house and dinner on the table. When my family moved to Northwest Arkansas from southern Arkansas, the lady wanted to move up there with them. Of course, that was during the years of the Sundown Towns, and the town they lived in was one of them.

When I was a kid I was fascinated by different churches. I would ask my dad what the different denominations believed as we drove by on our way to our church. Of course, there were no Blacks in our church. It always bothered me. Why didn't Blacks and Whites worship together? If God made us all, then why couldn't we all worship Him together? He loves us all the same, after all. I was much older when I realized that these barriers were man-made.


No comments: