Saturday, February 18, 2012

I worked today for one of the new hires. Yes, another Saturday at the airport when I had to be there at 5 am. Yuck. I really, really don't like getting up that early. However, it wasn't too bad today. There was one incident that blew me away though.

A passenger was really nasty to me. She was probably 70 and had a boot on her foot for a stress fracture or something of that nature. She was using a cane, too. I was by the plane while passengers were boarding and she wanted to step over a chain and take a short cut to the plane. I motioned to her "no" and pointed to the door I wanted her to go through. It probably added 5 feet to her walk. I had no idea she was having a hard time. I asked her if she needed a wheelchair when I saw she had a cane and she either didn't hear me or was so mad at the world that she didn't feel like she needed to answer. She said "I hope you are never in my condition and if you are, I hope you run into someone just like you." Are you kidding me? I have over 17 years experience of working in direct patient care. I volunteer once a week at a free medical clinic drawing blood. The more I think about it the more appalled I am that she felt like she could say something like that. Who does she think she is? Anyone who knows me knows that I do more than the average bear to help people. It's so disconcerting.

I hope I never get like that. Seriously, who wants to be an old bitty? And her husband must have no back bone or other parts. Yeah, I'm still irritated.


So, I have to work Sunday, Monday and Tuesday this week. My normal shifts. I hope it's good weather the next few days and that there are no old bittys in the airport.

1 comment:

Char said...

Wow - she must really be oblivious to people around her... and then she accuses them of the very thing she herself should be battling! Chin up, Kelly. We knwo you better than that. :o)