Friday, September 02, 2011

No time like the present...

I was reminded today what really matters after I dropped off my kids at school. The mother of one of my son's classmates is fighting metastatic breast cancer. The child is 7. She asked me how my summer was. My summer? I reflected quickly and said, "no complaints." Yeah, I wish I had gone the whole summer without complaining. I have nothing to complain about when compared to this family. But, she is there putting on her brave face and saying she is worried about her daughter. I can only imagine.

I don't know if I mentioned this or not, but my boss said there is a part-time position available at work. Of course, he told me about it after I had heard him interviewing people and asking them if they wanted part-time flex or part-time. And he said the reason he hadn't mentioned it to me sooner was he was waiting to see if a former employee would be able to come back. So, while he may have apologized for the blatant gender discrimination, I feel like it is still there. The perk to going part-time is I would be sent to the training I was promised during recruitment. Never believe a recruiter. I told him I was interested, but it's only because I want the training. My flight benefits will remain the same which is why I figure why bother with committing more hours per week at work? I'm wishing I had a crystal ball about now.

No comments: