Saturday, April 17, 2010

So hard to say goodbye...

This was a rough week. We had to put down our 12 year old Black Lab. Turns out she had kidney cancer and by the end was pretty much out of it. She went out with her dignity.

I think back to when I first met her and then when Pete and I got together. She had a hard time accepting me. She would chew up things of mine or tear apart magazines that I had touched. But, over time, she grew to be a loyal and loving dog to me. Yes, even me.

For instance, when I went on bed rest while pregnant with my now 7 year old, Cody lay by my side all day as if she was protecting me. And then after Kendall was born, she would stand between Kendall and whoever was visiting us. She was like a mom herself.

I was shocked by how I was affected by this loss. It still brings tears to my eyes even now while writing this. I miss her howl and her crazy jumping at the sound of the dog food hitting her metal bowl. I can't remember the last time I heard her bark or when she met me at the door. No, she was old and had mostly become a dog who slept all day and night. Guests would be at our house for 30+ minutes before she would come down stairs and realize someone else was here.

Not much to say. She's buried in our back yard now. The kids helped put the soil back over her. Poignant and touching.

1 comment:

Living Dees Life said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. Sending you our thoughts and prayers. *hugs*