Saturday, July 17, 2010

This week flew by. I knew in some ways it would. I filled in at the hospital and the kids were in art camp for a half day. I was lucky, our baby sitter was in town and she helped me out. Pete was very busy with a manure conference being held in town. He had a presentation so before the conference he wasn't a lot of help, and during the conference, he was non-existent. I did see him around 8:30 every evening. We also had a couple of guests staying with us this week, too. And then Friday a couple looked at the house. So, it was a busy week without a lot of down time.

And then there was the call from Pete's dad. It seemed that my mother-in-law had a meltdown at the doctor's office. She has Alzheimer's and my father-in-law has been taking care of her evenings and weekends. His only break was when he went to work M-F. After witnessing the melt down, the doctor recommended she be put in a psychiatric ward so they could regulate her meds. After that, then they could decide if she went home or on to a nursing facility. Instead, she went home and now Pete, his sister and their dad are looking at nursing homes next week. It's so sad, but necessary. My father-in-law hasn't had a break in a long time and it shows.

Oh, I'm scheduled to work next week. After my husband told me he had to go to Boston, I almost had a break down! He was supposed to be the flexible one next week to take the kids to their camps, etc. It's so hard not having back up for situations just as this. I called my parents on Thursday and asked if they would come up and help out for the week. Thankfully, they said yes. What a relief. It's a two day drive and they should be here Sunday night.


On a happier note, I took the kids to see Despicable Me today. It was so funny. Some slapstick and some adult humor. It's so fun to hear your own kids laugh out loud. I'll have to buy that one when it comes out.

I'm still just filling in at the hospital and hoping for something permanent to come along. It would be nice to have a real job with set hours. One of these days..maybe.

1 comment:

Auburn Kat said...

One of the main reasons I want to move to either Charleston or NYC is because I have family and friends in both places. I hated living in KS and AR and not having anyone to turn to in emergencies besides the exbf. So, I feel your pain...granted I don't have kids=)