Thursday, May 22, 2008

Company's a comin'...

I love having company. My parents are driving to PA. They left Arkansas yesterday and should arrive tonight. They are too old to drive that far, but they don't want to spend the money to fly. Plus, my dad likes having his own wheels. They will only be here for four days. It seems like a long way to drive for just four days, but I imagine we will all be ready by then for them to head back home.

Why do I like having company? I like the change in routine, I like having someone to hang out with and I like cooking for them. I will say, though, that my parents aren't hard to please when it comes to food (unlike the in laws). My parents grew up in rural Arkansas without a lot of money. They are used to eating simple food and leftovers. In fact, they really don't care for the kind of food that takes a while to prepare (except Beans and cornbread and good barbecue pork). It should be an easy weekend as far as food goes. I imagine we will do burgers on the grill with some baked beans (a favorite meal of mine). I would like to do something really yummy, but they aren't into ethnic stuff--unless you consider Chinese food. Ha! That's about as ethnic as they get. Heck, until my wedding, my mom had never had a bagel. Oh, I digress. Anyway, I should go clean the house and get ready for the company.

2 comments:

Katrin said...

I'd really like to meet your parents, they live in a completely different world than I do, and that would make some good conversations. Mmmm... barbecue.... drool...

Auburn Kat said...

I love baked beans! My mom made the best EVER! I've made them too but they still arent as good as hers...prob because I'm the one doing the labor!

Have fun with your parents!