Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Yummy salmon recipe

Today I did my regular volunteer gig. I can't get over how much I enjoy it--from the people I work with to the patients. It's really nice.

We're getting more snow today and then again tomorrow. The school will most likely take a snow day tomorrow. Sigh.

On the food front, I made some salmon last night and both the kids ate it! I call it Nana's Salmon because I got the recipe from Pete's Nana. It's simple and very tasty. Gosh, if a very picky 7 year old will eat it, then you can bet most will.

1 lb salmon fillet
olive oil
rice vinegar
white wine
Dijon mustard (2 tsp)
red onion
herbs (parsley, thyme)
lemon juice

I put the oven on 375 F. I put a little oil in the dish so the salmon won't stick. Put the salmon skin side down. Pour 1/2 bottle of wine over it. Add some rice vinegar and lemon juice (I use fresh lemons and use 1 to 2 lemons) and a little olive oil. Spread some Dijon mustard over the salmon and then put some chopped red onions on top. You can slice the red onions--it doesn't really matter. Then sprinkle some herbs over the salmon. Bake on the middle rack for about 18 min depending on the thickness of the fillet. The fishmonger at my grocery store said it should cook 11 min/inch.

I like to serve fresh green beans with the salmon and some Basmati rice. There's a lot of juice from the salmon and it goes great over the rice.

Tonight I made quiche--all from scratch. I think I've finally perfected my crust. I served an arugula salad mix with craisins and chopped walnuts. I drizzled my homemade Balsamic and olive oil salad dressing over it. I used whole grain Dijon mustard in the dressing to give it some zip. Kendall won't eat the quiche and couldn't stand the smell so I had to leave it on the kitchen counter. Clayton ate it but preferred it with hot sauce.

That's it for now. I didn't exercise today and I probably won't get to tomorrow. Ugh.

No comments: