Thursday, February 17, 2011

I'm back from Dubai. I made it back in time to pick the kids up from school on Wednesday. I flew business class from Atlanta to Dubai and from Dubai to Atlanta. It was really nice. The plane was a Boeing 777 where the seats fully go flat so you can actually sleep. And the food, well, let's just say it's very yummy. So, the trip started out wonderfully and continued throughout.

I arrived on a Thursday night. It was a long journey to get there--over 24 hours. After having a drink with my hosts, I went to bed. Of course, I woke several times in the night, hungry, and jet-lagged. The jet-lag was really bad. I think it's hard traveling east. But, after a day, I was fine.

Friday, Sylvie and Didier took me to Dubai Creek. It is where all the boats are that do trade with Iran. The Gold and Spice Souks are there, as well. We took some pictures of the boats and then went to a Lebanese restaurant for lunch. Didier enjoyed some shisha flavored with strawberry. It's also known as hookah. The food was incredible and I now am a fan of Lebanese food. We went back to their house for the afternoon to rest up for Eric Clapton. Yes, I saw Eric Clapton in concert. He was in Abu Dhabi, which was about an hour away. Two other couples came along.

Along the highway, I saw camels running in the desert. Once we got to Abu Dhabi we visited a huge, beautiful Mosque called Sheikh Zayed Mosque. It was truly breathtaking.

After the Mosque, we went to the Yaz Hotel for drinks and dinner and then to Eric Clapton. I always love live music and he was fantastic! He played for two hours straight.

Saturday, we went to the beach and walked along the shore. Sylvie and I collected beautiful shells which had washed up from the Arabian Sea. It was warm, but windy. The weather felt fine to this Southerner who now lives in the Northeast. But to the French people, it was chilly. After all, it was February. After a while we headed back to the house for some lunch with one of Didier's sons who happens to live in Dubai.

to be continued...

No comments: