Monday, December 01, 2008

Our Thanksgiving.

I worked today at the hospital. It was slow, which is good since I can't remember when I worked last, and felt like I had to think about stuff twice. I always feel so out of it at work when I haven't been there for a while. Good thing they are understanding.

The Thanksgiving holiday was nice. We drove to Boston on Wednesday and while the traffic was heavy, it wasn't unbearable. We made it in 8 hours--with two kids and two dogs. Not bad, if I have to say so myself.

Pete's mom was a little worse than the last time we saw her. She can't see much now and forgets who is sitting right by her. Pete's dad can't take her on business trips anymore since she requires someone to watch her 100% of the time. So sad.

Thanksgiving day was a busy one with too many cooks in the kitchen, if you know what I mean. Nana arrived around 10 am and was busy giving orders and double-checking everything. She's still got it at 95. And we all know better than to argue with her. :)

My pecan pie turned out nice and I also made cornbread stuffing/dressing. Since I couldn't go home to the south, I had to make a southern dish. The rest of the food was delicious, too. Everyone agreed that Pete's sweet potatoes was the favorite. (except for Nana's turkey, of course.)

Friday night Anne (Pete's sister), Thomas (her husband), Pete, and I saw Quantum of Solace. It is the new James Bond movie. We really liked it. And it wasn't too long. (With that said, I would like to see Australia anyway). Pete's dad and Nana watched the children. Pete and Anne were walking around Harvard Square saying things like, "remember the shop that was in that building?" and "dad used to go to the barber in that building." I can just imagine how fun it was to walk around there as a teenager.

Saturday we left Cambridge with all the intentions of driving all the way home. We stopped about 4 hours down the road near West Point, NY. Pete's old HS and college friend, Ben, was visiting his parents. He and his wife and daughter were in the country from Taiwan and we wanted to see them. We ended up staying the night. One of Ben's brothers is in a band and we all went out to a dive bar to see him--5$ cover. I think Ben paid for us. Ben and another brother wanted to show their support. The band was actually pretty good. We had left the kids at Ben's parents house. So, two dates two night in a row. Wow! We stayed up until 2 am which didn't seem like a bad idea until Sunday morning around 7:30 am. Ugh.

I got up, didn't shower, drank some coffee and ate some breakfast. We woke up Kendall (Clayton, aka alarm clock was already up) and loaded up the car and drove another 4 hours until we arrived in good ole central PA. Needless to say, we were tired. I mean so tired it was impossible to be nice tired.

So there you have it. My Thanksgiving in a nut shell. And how was yours?


Cheryl Wray said...

Sounds like it was a really nice Thanksgiving or you guys. The food sounds delicious!!!!!! (that is the best part of Thanksgiving!)

Auburn Kat said...

I definitely know what you mean about there being too many cooks in the kitchen!!!

Glad to hear you had a nice Thanksgiving!

Char said...

Your holiday weekend sounds like so much fun! (by the way, I read this post of yours the other day already but as I was about to comment, my sugar booger awoke and that was the end of my bloglurking for the day.) Sometimes I wish we had Thanksgiving in South Africa. We sure do have loads to be thankful for. And besides, any excuse to get together with family AND EAT is a good reason for a holiday! Oh, something I find hilarious, is, I have a VERY South African friend who stands at attention every time someone sings the American national anthem. She even puts her hand on her heart and her one hand in the air afterwards and says, "OH, the Land of the free and Home of the brave. Sigh!" and she totally means it. Too funny.

Katrin said...

Wow, that was a lot of driving. But I wish I could see all of these places you mentioned. One day... one day...

I know exactly what you mean that partying late sounds really good while you are doing it and is somehow less good when you have to get up in the morning! :) :) :)