Tuesday, October 16, 2007

My daughter paid me the highest compliment yesterday. I had just picked her up from school and we were driving across town to deliver some food to a couple that just had a baby. Anyway, one of the streets downtown is undergoing construction so I took a back alley to avoid an intersection. I turned onto a street that came out to a traffic light. While I was waiting for the light to change, I noticed something in my periphery. It was a black, furry spider. You know the kind. The kind that gives you the heavy jeevies. Well, I immediately put the window down and grabbed one of Clayton's socks (what? you don't have extra socks on the front seat of your car?) to try to knock the spider out of the car. I accidentally threw the sock out onto the street and the spider eluded by swipe. I undid my seat belt and jumped out of the car to reclaim the sock and I looked at the inside of the front seat to see if I could find the spider. I saw it crawling along the edge of the car and down into the floorboard. There was my chance--so with a quick movement of my feet, I stepped on the spider with my right foot and made sure it was dead. You know, come down hard and twist the foot back and forth to make sure. Well, it was surely dead. I quickly hopped in the car and put my seat belt on and the car in drive all before the traffic light changed to green. I gave a big sigh of relief and that is when my daughter said, "You are a good spider killer, mommy!" Now, isn't that the best compliment?

5 comments:

NY KAT said...

I would have freaked!!! That was really cute of your daughter to say!

NY KAT said...

That's so sweet of you to offer to bring me coffee!

BTW, when I was home I was down in PA for a couple of hours...Bradford to be exact.

Char said...

That is BRILLIANT! I had such a good laugh. I haaaaaaaaate spiders. Like as in passionately! Just last night (weird coincidince...) my hubby was working late, I was off sick and sitting forlornly on the couch watching telly, when out of the corner of my eye I saw something moving... it was one of those TALL spiders. The ones that actually sit down between steps, then stand back up when they walk? Do you also have those? Well, I thought I was going to faint on the spot. Only thing is if I fainted, I'd lose track of where it was. And that would be even worse than chasing the thing around the house with a tupperware in hand. Well, I trapped the thing under a cake lid, and then balanced a whole stack of things on top of the cake lid to keep it from toppling the tupperware over and running out. And then it was hubby to the rescue. THANK HEAVENS for MEN!!!

Cheryl Wray said...

I think that's a WONDERFUL compliment!! :-)

Char said...

Me again. Boy are you going to LOVE me! hehe. I just found a template perfect for you! copy this link and paste it into your web browser! http://www.pyzam.com/bloggertemplates/preview/office-michael