Sunday, October 21, 2007

Ups and Downs

Last week I had a few days where I was really down. No reason, except maybe some fatigue. The husband and I also had an argument and sometimes words get said that cut to the bone. Anyway, Thursday, I just couldn't shake my funky mood. And I know my kids (and husband) deserve better than that. So, of course, that always brings along the guilt. There were some things that made me feel better this past week with my mood. Such as Flight of the Conchords and some ice cream.


This flavor is the best and it has half the fat. So that meant I could eat twice as much, right? And there was something else that made me laugh last week. Kendall and Clayton dressed up in their Halloween costumes and looked really cute.
Clayton will be "Bob the Builder" and Kendall will be Ariel as a bride. (you know, the little mermaid gets married in the end and she gets to stay as a human). But, seeing them playing and laughing did cheer me up a bit.

Then my sister called me tonight to tell me that my brother and his wife are going to divorce after 30 years of marriage. My heart sank. Although, I must admit, I wasn't shocked. They had been through some trying times and I was surprised they were still together. I love them both so much and I am having a hard time seeing through my tears right now. I can remember sitting in Pam's lap when I was just a child and she and my brother were dating. I idolized her and wanted to be just like her. She taught me how to twirl the baton (I wasn't any good) and she has been the best aunt my kids will ever know. But, I know there is always two sides to every coin and no one knows what goes on behind closed doors. I feel so sad for my brother (he doesn't want the divorce) and I hope he can weather this storm now. A few years ago, both of their daughters were going through, albeit different, some medical troubles. I honestly felt like no family deserved either one and my brother and sister-in-law got a double whammy. One daughter was diagnosed with bipolar and there is a lot of stuff/heartache/problems that go with that and the other daughter had to endure two separate brain surgeries to remove a tumor--all before the age of twenty. Like I said, I am not surprised with the outcome. I am very saddened, however. I hurt for my brother and my sister-in-law.

So, sorry for the downer post.

"Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength;They will soar on wings like eagles,they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."Isaiah 40 : 31

3 comments:

NY KAT said...

Sorry to hear that you have been feeling down lately! Thank goodness for ice cream though and your two adorable kids! I bet they are excited for Halloween!

Sorry to hear about your brother, hopefully everything will workout for the best!

Hang in there!

nicola mcdowell said...

Hi Kelly, I'ts Nicola here, I've been lurking on your blog for a while, but today I felt the need to say Hi and add a comment! I was interested to read what you had to say about your brother getting divorced. The things that can cause problems in a relationship such as health problems I completely relate too, and I wanted to share our situation. When Richard came back from the states he didn't talk to me for 3 days and then eventually said that while he was away he'd been thinking, realised he'd been miserable for ages and he thought we should get a divorce! Bit of a shock. My ME/CFS the past few years has put a strain on things because it's made me very difficult to live with and depressed/grumpy a lot. Also, I really want kids and Richard doesn't, big problem! To reslove the kid issue we sought counselling this year, and he decided he did want kids and everything seemed good before he went overseas. Even my health was improving. Since getting things off his chest he's decided to go for counselling to figure his own head out and the divorce seems to be on the back burner for now, although I have no idea how we're going to resolve the kids issue, I'm just hoping he'll change his mind! Life can be so complicated sometimes, just when you think it's finally all going right it all turns to custard!!
Nicola xxxx

Kelly said...

NYKAT--thanks for the well-wishes. I'm feeling better today.

Nicola--thinking of you and hope things get better in Kiwiland.