Friday, June 01, 2007

"I'm no doctor, but he looked healthy...."

Reportedly, that is what the Homeland Security Agent said at Champlain, NY, when he let Andrew Speaker into the US despite a warning that came up on the computer when his passport was checked. Now, I ask you fellow Americans, do you think we are any better off than we were 6 years ago? This guy has shown just how easy it is to enter the US if you are a good-looking, young, white guy. And this guy has the most drug-resistant form of Tuberculosis. This case has fascinated me so I have been doing a little reading on the subject. (I have forgotten most of what I learned those many years ago in Medical Microbiology. )

Still, this guy knew he had TB when he flew trans-Atlantic for his wedding and honeymoon. This was a very selfish act and he had been warned by health officials not to fly. Plus, his now father-in-law is a researcher at the CDC on, all things, tuberculosis! So, you can't tell me this guy didn't know what he was dealing with. A little arrogant? No doubt. Just like those drunk drivers that "feel fine" and get behind the wheel in a car. He unnecessarily exposed people to something that can be deadly.

No comments: