Monday, July 02, 2007

New York!

I drove to Ronda's house Saturday morning, threw my stuff in her van, and we were off to pick up the other ladies. I think we were on the interstate and on our way by 8 AM. We made excellent time until we hit the toll booths for the George Washington Bridge and it took about an hour to get over the bridge and into the city.

We arrived at our hotel, parked the van, but we couldn't check in until 3 PM. We had a couple of hours to eat and explore the area. First stop was a deli across from the hotel. Mary Ann spotted Gretta Van Susteran walking down the street. She was the only 'famous' person we recognized all weekend. Of course, I had a Reuben sandwich which was delicious.

Then the girls went to the Top of the Rock and I had to make my way to Saks to spend a gift card that was burning a hole in my pocket. I couldn't find a darn thing. That place is ridiculously expensive. No normal brands.

After that, we checked into our room. We had a 1 bedroom suite with a living room and one bathroom. No problem. We would manage. Then, Mary Ann (spotter of the famous person) noticed that the carpet between a chair and one of the beds was wet. Then she noticed the room smelled like cat urine. (good nose, Mary Ann). I called the desk and they immediately moved us to a Master Suite. WOW! Two bedrooms (3 beds) and 3 bathrooms, a living room, and a dining room table. Now, that was living. All of sudden, I felt like I could stay there with these other women for a week.







So, it was time to get ready for "Wicked". We had dinner first at a restaurant called Puttanesca. It was Italian--very busy, good food, service was so-so. Good time, none the less. Then walked to the Gershwin Theater where "Wicked" was playing. Oh my Gosh! What a clever story! We all enjoyed it.


Pictured above is Frankie (friend of Christy's-lives in Manhattan), Christy, me, Nicole, Storm (grew up in Manhattan-used to be in playgroup-now in San Antonio),Mary Ann, Ronda and Linda G.



For lunch on Sunday, we ate at Rosa Mexicano. It was really good. After lunch we walked around Manhattan, did some last minute shopping and headed home.


Christy and Ronda enjoyed a margarita at lunch.


And last but not least, Nicole wanted to go to the American Girl store and buy a doll for her daughter. I saw something that I thought was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen:

People actually pay money to have the doll's hair styled. Interesting.

4 comments:

Char said...

I am SO JEALOUS! Woops, did I really write that? I meant to say, I'm so excited you had such a great time. That's much more politically correct! :o) Haha. Sounds like you really had a ball. And such awesome pics too. Nothing quite like a girly weekend huh?

Kelly said...

nothing like it!

NY KAT said...

I love your polka dot top, very cute!

It sounds like you had a blast. What a great idea to take a trip like that with friends!

v said...

Hello! I really like your blog. Just wanted to say that, and thanks for stopping by mine.

I also wanted to say, WTF. A hair salon for dolls?