Thursday, September 13, 2007

Keeping things in perspective

Abbey is gone now. She was a beautiful, smart dog. She will be missed greatly and we are still red-eyed and puffy-faced from 24 hours of crying off and on. But what we are going through today is nothing compared to a family from Kendall's school.

This morning, I received a phone call from the school counselor of Kendall's elementary school. She assured me nothing was wrong with Kendall (whew!), but that she was calling to inform me that a girl from Kendall's class was hit by a motorcycle last night. The little girl was life-flighted to a big medical center but did not make it. I could not contain myself on the phone. It hit me like a ton of bricks and all I could do was cry. Oh, the pain that the parents of Adria must be feeling right now.

This reminds me of how fragile we are and how, in a moment, our lives change. Pete and I lost a dog and we had 24 hours to say goodbye. Adria's parents lost a 5 year old girl and didn't have that chance. I am praying for the parents that they will find strength through this difficult time.

5 comments:

NY KAT said...

OMG, how awful! The family is in my thoughts and prayers too.

Cheryl Wray said...

Oh my goodness, I cannot imagine what this family is going through.
And how hard it is going to be on Kendall's class. Back when Delaney was in 4th grade, they had a boy in her grade who was killed by his father. Just an awful situation and it his Delaney SO hard. And last year one of the girls in her class had her Mom shot at a bank robbery. So awful too...So I know hard it is going to be as Kendall and the other kids in the class have to learn to handle their grief.
I will certainly be praying for Adria's family.

Cheryl Wray said...

I was going to come by here and comment on the Bama-Hogs came tomorrow, then read this sad news. But I still will kinda rub it in and say...
Roll Tide!
(But, you know, it's funny...Arkansas is my favorite "other" team in the SEC and I cheer them on every other day of the year. And i do the same in basketball.I still can't let go of my Calling the Hogs days!)

Susie PSU said...

I saw that in the paper this morning. How extremely sad.

Char said...

Wow... things like that really put our "normal" problems into perspective, don't they? My cat still hasn't returned and I still feel silly mourning over her. I can't imagine how those parents must feel. How very very sad...