Sunday, February 17, 2008

A letter to my President...

Dear Mr. President,

I am writing in response to your recent proposed budget for the fiscal year starting in October 2008. You see, this budget has become very personal to me. I understand that you want to cut 8% of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA-ARS) and that the lab my husband works in is part of that 8%. Mr. President, I ask you why?

As a *Republican, I can understand the need for watching our dollars (trillions) and having to make hard decisions. I know that we need to be fiscally responsible and yes, by using my credit card, I too, borrow from the future. And I know that maybe that isn't a reality for our government to pay for everything now. We aren't set up that way and never have been. But, don't you think that there are some things worth keeping around?

The Pasture Systems and Watershed Management Research Unit located in University Park, PA is an integral part of the central Pennsylvania community. The lab has been recognized internationally for its outstanding research that helps farmers to protect water quality. In Pennsylvania, my husband's team worked with the state Conservation Commission to develop nutrient management guidelines for the state (Act 38 of 2005), and he has contributed to recent activities as part of the nutrient trading program. His research is vitally important to the clean up of the Chesapeake Bay, something that has been recognized by his fellow scientists and in magazines such as the Journal for Soil and Water Conservation. Given the importance of his research to issues of national priority, shutting down the Pasture Systems and Watershed Management Research Unit means that Pennsylvania will not be represented by local research and will lose the national representation that my husband and his team provide.

Mr. President, I ask that you reconsider this part of your budget. The lab is not asking for more funding, just that you reinstate the funding from years past. Our family does not want to move and there are many families that will be affected if this lab is closed. Thank you for your time and consideration. God bless America.

Sincerely,

Kelly Kleinman


*I am a registered Republican but I don't always vote republican

To the bloggers:
if you feel compelled to write to Congress, here are a couple of names.

The Honorable Robert Casey
817 E. Bishop Street, Suite C
Bellefonte, PA 16823
Fax: 814/357-0318


The Honorable Arlen Specter
228 Walnut Street
Room 1104, Federal Building
Harrisburg , PA 17101
Fax: 717/782-4920

2 comments:

Auburn Kat said...

It really is sad some of the things that they cut and yet keep some ridiculous expenses!!

Katrin said...

Good luck with your quest! I'll be crossing my fingers for you and your family.